Sunday, October 5, 2008

Never Ending Story


So, since I have decided to take my employer's "offer" to cover 80% (of contracted charges) for my surgery I went ahead and set the date for October 27th with Dr. D (who I've been a patient of for 2 years). But then last week I went to Dr. S, who I had been waiting over a month to get in with, for a second opinion. Now I have quite the predicament as I have for sure decided to change doctors. The 2 doctors seem at this point incomparable. Dr. D had told me I would be in surgery for 11 hours for both jaws, 2 days in the hospital with the usual, dreaded wired shut forever, liquid diet, then soft foods recovery and off work 4-6 weeks. But Dr. S tells me (for the same procedures) it will take only 3 hours in surgery, 1-2 nights in the hospital and ... I will wake up WITHOUT MY JAWS WIRED SHUT! The orthodontist apparently comes to me in the hospital the next day to apply the bands and I will be back to work in 3 weeks. The longer you're under anesthesia, the more bruising and swelling, hence the vast difference in recovery time. I feel so much more confident in Dr. S. Now I have had to request that my "offer" instead include the new doctor. I'll be paying a whole lot out of pocket (and of course it would be worth it), but because he requires payment in full before the surgery ($36,000) I have to see how much my portion will be before I can know for sure if its realistic. He is available on October 25th at this point and I so badly want this over with. Next week I should have the details on the cost and therefore be able to decide if I will financially be able to do this.

Why does this story seem never ending? I'm so grateful to have found a doctor I'm much more confidant in, but now there are still all of these new "what ifs." My body and mind are tired. Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts.

No comments: